Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Bringing up girls........

I've been reading a book by James Dobson called, "Bringing Up Girls".  I have a long way to go (who has time to read with two pint sized power houses around?????)  But a few things have caught my eye lately.

"Children are a gift from God and we are stewards of their welfare.  Training up our daughters in this sense implies helping them navigate the cultural minefields hat lie in their paths....it means instilling within them an appreciation for truthfulness, trustworthiness, self-discipline, self-control, generosity, and sweetness of spirit.  It means teaching them modesty, morality, and manners.  That is just the beginning, which is why parenthood is such a daunting responsibility."

Daunting responsibility?  Exactly.  It can overwhelm me.  How do I instill all these core values that I want them to learn?  How do I not jump on everything they do to allow them to experience the world and let natural consequences take hold?  One thing is for sure---I have a lot to learn.  Luckily I have the grace of Jesus to help me and I'm glad that I also have a husband who is willing to let God guide us.  We have a long way to go to learn in giving our parenting over to the Lord.......but we're working on it.  We're so thankful to have found our new church that is just pouring the love of God into our girls.  They talk about Kids World every day---yes EVERY day.  And although it wasn't long ago that Brooke cried to go each week.......she now "pretend calls" Ashley's teacher (Mr Steve) Sunday mornings to tell him to wake up because we're on our way.  And we're blessed to have Jenni in our lives pouring the love of Jesus into the girls every day.  And the fact that her care includes trips to "bible study play time" and "bible study class" each week in addition to the preschool--------our girls are just getting "loaded up on God"and I can't think of anything better that I could ask for.

It's been a crazy couple of weeks........here are some pictures of the ladybug extravaganza!!!




So yes Lord, I need your help to raise these girls!!  Please continue to guide our thoughts, words, and actions in how we parent these two amazing and beautiful gifts from you!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment